Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My boss is a misanthrope


A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Dear Ethel,

My name is Bob Cratchit. I am the solitary clerk in Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge's counting-house. Have you heard of him? He is known as the most stingy, tightfisted, odious, unfeeling man in all of London, maybe even in all England! Even his name sounds quite harsh. What kind of name is Scrooge, anyway? I don't know anybody else with that name. 

I have several conflicts which I hope you can help me solve.

First of all, Mr. Scrooge refuses to buy coal to heat the counting-house office. He says it is too costly. I think this is ridiculous because he is indeed quite rich, but doesn't like to spend his money to keep warm. It is hard to for me to work with freezing hands. I have to copy numbers all day long in a big book, and sometimes my hands are trembling. It is so unfair! What can I say to him to convince him to buy more coal? 

Moreover, Christmas is tomorrow but Mr. Scrooge thinks that it is wrong to give me the day off! He thinks I should go to work on Christmas Day! Can you imagine? Go to work on a holiday instead of spending the day with my family? I have several children and a wife who are all looking forward to having me home that day for a Christmas feast. We don't have much money but we try our best to have a tasty meal. My wife is an excellent cook! It is impossible for me to miss this day with my family. My son Tiny Tim would be so disappointed.

I guess Mr. Scrooge will give me the day off tomorrow but I wish I could have the whole week. Do you think I should ask him? What should I say? How can I persuade him? Help me, Ethel!

Sincerely,

Bob Cratchit
Clerk in Scrooge and Marley's Counting-House
London, England





No comments:

Post a Comment